The teaching of science, mathematics and technical subjects in English (PPSMTI) was decided in a cabinet meeting on July 19th, 2002. Pursuant to the cabinet decision, the Department of Technical Education, Ministry of Education, in its Polytechnic’s Technical Planning Meeting No. 2/2002 had decided that by 2008, all science, mathematics and technical subjects be taught in English. This policy is further pursued by the Department of Polytechnic and Community College Education (DPCCE), Ministry of Higher Education beginning March 27th, 2004 whereby DPCCE overlooks the planning and implementation of the program. Among the planned programmes were:
- Translation of curriculum from Malay language to English Language.
- Producing new curriculum in English by phases.
- Proficiency training of teaching staff by phases beginning from 2006
- Preparation and procurement of teaching and learning modules and multimedia materials in English.
Hence the formation of English Enhancement Programme (EEP) in 2008 was done as a rebranding exercise to replace PPSMTI (2006 – 2007). This was done in accordance with the Higher Education National Strategic Plan (PSPTN) and Human Capital Development as stated below.
a) Higher Education National Strategic Plan (HENSP – 2nd thrust):
i) ‘Improving the quality of teaching and learning’
- Periodic improvement of curiculum, interactive learning methods and broaden the usage of English language.
b) Human Capital Development (Pembangunan Modal Insan):
i) ‘Mastering English language and other main languages in the world along with the ability to explore more knowledge.’